What does your SORN insurance cover?

The policy we arrange covers you for loss or damage as a consequence of fire or theft. To claim on your laid up insurance you must satisfy the conditions detailed in your policy document.

For cars, motorhomes and van our SORN insurance covers fire and theft when your vehicle is stored in a garage, driveway or private land. Motorcycles must be stored in a locked garage or shed.

Does your policy cover my vehicle on the road?

No. Our laid up insurance cover is designed specifically to cover your vehicle when it is not on a public highway, whether being driven or parked. Should you need road cover please visit Principal Insurance where you’ll find details of the specialist  car, motorcycle, motorhome and  van insurance policies offered by our parent company

Does my vehicle have to be declared as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice)?

Yes. You cannot take out a laid up insurance policy unless your car is registered under the DVLA’s SORN scheme. Remember too that under Continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, your vehicle must be insured even if you are not using it on the public highway, unless you have registered it as SORN.

You can register your vehicle as SORN by clicking here.

How much does SORN insurance cost?

There is no one answer. A number of factors such as the value of your vehicle can affect how much laid up insurance costs.

Why does SORN insurance cost less than vehicle road insurance?

Put simply SORN insurance costs less because there are few risk factors. Our laid up insurance covers only fire and theft risk when your vehicle is registered as being off the road.

It does not provide cover for vehicles being used on the public highway where there more and higher risks. Road risks can also be much more expensive for an insurer to cover as settlements may need include payments for things like personal injuries.

To insure my vehicle, do I need to be the legal owner?
Yes, to insure you must be the registered keeper of the vehicle or provide other evidence of ownership.

Why take out laid up insurance?

If you have registered your vehicle with the DVLA as off the road then you are not legally obliged to take out insurance. SORN vehicles are exempt under the Continuous Enforcement Scheme.

However, whilst your vehicle is SORN it could still be stolen or be destroyed or damaged by fire. Our laid up insurance protects against these risks, meaning you will not need face the cost of replacing your SORN vehicle.

Do you cover restoration projects?
Yes, we can offer SORN insurance for vehicles whilst they are being restored. Please call us on 0330 053 6844 or email for  more details.

Do I need tell you if I have modified my vehicle?
Yes. It is important you inform us of any modifications you have made, or plan to make to your vehicle. You should do this when you take out the policy and if you make any modifications during the term of your policy.

Can I have more than one vehicle on the policy?
Yes.  You can have as many vehicles on cover provided you keep within the total value limits. We will advise you of the applicable limit when we provide a laid up insurance quote.

Our online quoting system allows you to secure a SORN insurance quote for up to four vehicles. If you require laid up cover for more than four vehicles, please call us on 0330 053 6844.

Do you give discount for No claims bonus?

We don’t offer any discount for no claims – All our policies are based on a ‘flat rate’ and we price in accordance with the value and other prominent rating factors within insurance.

Is there a cooling off period?

You have a 14 day cooling off period where you can cancel your policy and get your money back (less an administration fee) if the cover does not meet your requirements.

Do I get a refund if I want to cancel after the cooling off period?
There are no refunds on the policies – the small premiums for this cover mean its not cost effective for the Insurer to allow any refund of premium (unless you cancel within the first 14 days, the cooling off period)

What terms and conditions apply?

Please refer to ‘Terms Of Business’ page on our website.

What methods of payment are available?

Payments are accepted by all major debit and credit cards. We do not have a monthly payments option, nor do we accept cash or cheque.

How do I amend my insurance policy or notify you of changes?

To make any amendments to your insurance policy or to notify of changes,please contact our UK based call centre on 0330 053 6844 quoting your policy number.

How do I cancel my policy?

If you wish to cancel your policy, please call our contact centre on 0330 053 6844.

How do I make a claim on the policy?

To make a claim on your insurance policy, please contact our UK based call centre on 0330 053 6844 quoting your policy number.

Sorn Insurance provide this page of links to other websites for information only.

All of the websites are owned and operated by third parties and by following any of these links you leave the Sorn Insurance website.
The links are not an endorsement by SORN Insurance of the content of the websites or of the services offered by the third parties – we have no control over the content of these websites and we are not responsible for the websites, their content or their availability.

Therefore we make no warranties or representations, direct or implied about the linked websites, the 3rd parties owning and operating the websites and the information contained on them or the suitability or quality of any of their products or services.

How to SORN a vehicle – This UK Government website provides you with all of the details you need in order to register your car or bike SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

Contact the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for advice and information on vehicle insurance, registration and taxation as well as other matters such as how to SORN a vehicle.

Policy Summary

Fire and Theft Only Cover
Any Make or Model
Any Age
Any Value
Multiple vehicle policies
6 and 12 month policies